The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Washington University in St. Louis was founded in the late 1800’s and developed its first educational curriculum at this time. Initially, gynecological surgery was under the auspices of general surgery, but this was transferred to OB/GYN with the construction of the Maternity Building in 1927. This building still houses the academic offices of full-time faculty of the Department of OB/GYN.
Past Chairmen of OB/GYN:
Henry Schwarz,MD 1899 - 1928
Otto Henry Schwarz, MD 1928 - 1940
Willard Allen, MD 1940 - 1971
James Warren, MD 1971 - 1989
Marvin Camel, MD 1989 - 1991
James Schreiber, MD 1991 - 2005
George Macones, MD 2005 - present
The Department is structured like many other academic departments in the country, with clinical sub-specialty divisions running along traditional lines.
- Division of Gynecological Oncology
- (Director, Matthew A. Powell, M.D.)
- Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine Ultrasound and Genetics
- (Director, Alison G. Cahill, M.D.)
- Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- (Director, Randall Odem, M.D.)
- Division of General Obstetrics and Gynecology
- (Director, Eric Strand, M.D.)
- Division of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
- (Director, Jerry Lowder, M.D.)
- Division of Minimally Invasive
- (Director, Scott Biest, M.D.)
In addition to our clinical divisions, we have a Division of Clinical Research (Director Methodius Tuuli, M.D.) and a Division of Basic Research (Director and Vice Chair, Kelle Moley, M.D.). Both of these divisions have active programs which are described in depth on this website.
The Department houses a broad educational program, including undergraduate students and medical students. The Department also houses a fully accredited, 4 year residency program in OB/GYN (9 residents/year) that attracts the finest medical students throughout the country. Fellowships are available in Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Gynecological Oncology, Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Contraception and Family Planning and Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery.
Chairman's Administrative Office Phone: 314-362-7139