The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Washington University in St. Louis was founded in the late 1800’s and developed its first educational curriculum at this time. Initially, gynecological surgery was under the auspices of general surgery, but this was transferred to OB/GYN with the construction of the Maternity Building in 1927. This building still houses the academic offices of full-time faculty of the Department of OB/GYN.
Past Chairmen of OB/GYN:
Henry Schwarz 1899-1928
Otto Henry Schwarz 1928-1940
Willard Allen 1940-1971
James Warren 1971- 1989
Marvin Camel 1989-1991
James Schreiber 1991-2005
George Macones 2005-present
The Department is structured like many other academic departments in the country, with clinical subspecialty divisions running along traditional lines.
- Division of Gynecological Oncology
- (Director, David Mutch, M.D.)
- Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine and Ultrasound
- (Director, George Macones, M.D.)
- Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- (Director, Randall Odem, M.D.)
- Division of General Obstetrics and Gynecology
- (Director, Eric Strand, M.D.)
- Division of Specialty Gynecology
- (Director, Lewis Wall, M.D., Ph.D. of Phil., M.A. of Bioeth.)
In addition to our clinical divisions, we have a Division of Clinical Research (Director and Vice Chair, Jeffrey Peipert, M.D., M.P.H, M.H.A.) and a Division of Basic Research (Director and Vice Chair, Kelle Moley, M.D.). Both of these divisions have active programs which are described in depth on this website.
The Department houses a broad educational program, including undergraduate students and medical students. The Department also houses a fully accredited, 4 year residency program in OB/GYN (9 residents/year) that attracts the finest medical students throughout the country. Fellowships are available in Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Gynecological Oncology, Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, and Contraception and Family Planning.
Chairman's Administrative Office Phone: 314-362-7139